Monday 4 May 2015

The Skill of Minimalism

Being a minimalist is definitely not something that comes naturally to me: I am a creative who has become a hoarder in many respects. I feel as though the design world is populated by a juxtaposition of minimalists and hoarders. As a result of this I have grown to greatly admire Minimalists.

A talented young designer, who I had the pleasure of living under the same roof as for several weeks, is the main inspiration for this post. On a daily basis I envied how this lovely lady always looked effortlessly fashionable, cool and yet comfortable in her clothing, especially as she informed us of the minimal amount of clothes she had with her.  
Furthermore my supervisor at my internship has been reading a book which encourages a minimalist lifestyle, and the revelations are quite fascinating! 

[http://de-smitten.com/2013/08/27/minimalist-design-interiors-imitate-fashion/]

There has always been the conflict in fashion of quality versus quantity when it comes to comprising a wardrobe and more recently I have become increasingly aware of the importance and positives of  owning a few quality garments over many outfits of a lower standard. An obvious increase in the importance of brands in America, in contrast to the United Kingdom can suggest many things, both controversial and not (which would make my post far from minimalistic if I were to cove these). New Yorkers on the whole do tend to have a more casual style than British Fashion. I do feel like it has changed my approach to dressing and shopping, and probably for the better! 

Here are a few fabulous sites which talk in more depth about the beauty of a minimalistic wardrobe and life, offering advise to those who want to follow this way of living: 




The obvious advice though is to create a wardrobe of essentials... perhaps with one or two adventurous feel good pieces. Many style sites offer their take on wardrobe essentials, but I think it comes down tot the individual and your style. 


[Image from: http://www.elle.com/fashion/g8259/ten-closet-essentials/]





If it doesn't come naturally to you, becoming a minimalist could prove to be very hard. I am not saying everyone should become one, the variation of style is what makes us identifiably individual, but learning about this sector in fashion is definitely interesting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment